Hhhmmmm.....

Does anyone ever read these things? If so, make a comment, leave a note, or drop me a line....let me know you were here.

Free Counters

Free Counter

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

GRADUATED

I've never been one to do things the "traditional" way. Some may call it stubbornness. Others may call it laziness. Whatever it may be, I still get the job done...I just get it done my way. So was the case with my collage career. When I graduated from Lehi Senior High School it was 1997. The majority of my friends went straight to college. I decided I needed a break. Everyone said, "You'll never go back." I knew I would. I did too. One year later, I started at UVSC. The nursing program at that time was done via wait list. Getting into the program consisted of attending an orientation meeting and putting your name on the "yes I want to be in your nursing program" list. Somewhere in that first year of college life got a bit crazy. I found relief and escape from the stresses of my life in the clubbing world where it was all drown out by cigarette smoke, alcohol, loud music, and boys. Somewhere amongst all the confusion I thought, "Do I really want to be a nurse, or have I always just been told I want to be a nurse?" I didn't think I knew, so when my name came up on the wait list, I didn't take the spot.

Now, fast forward a few years to a time when things are clearer...

I got home from my mission and I knew I wanted to be a nurse. However, things had changed. The nursing program wait list is no more. Now, an application process must be completed...and grades are important. Not just any grades will do. I needed A's. This is where I find myself siding with those that sight stubbornness as the key to my way of doing things. Perhaps it could be called perserverance because before getting into the nursing program I took Math 1050 four times, Anatomy three times, Physiology 2 times, and Chemistry 2 times.  But, I got in.

And now....I GRADUATED!  While I technically graduated in December 2009, the graduation services weren't until April 30, 2010. It only took 12 years to finish my Associate Degree. But I did, and by damn, come hell or high water I was walking in Convocation!

Walking around to get my diploma
Sandy, my step-mom, presented my diploma with Dean Rushforth

My Biggest Fans: My Family!
I couldn't have done it with out all their love and support. 
My Parents: Always pushed me to do my best without breaking my spirit.
Thanks for always believing in me and allowing me to do things my way.
The Graduate! 

It feels so surreal. Perhaps it's because I know this time next year I'll do it all again with my Bachelor Degree. Perhaps it's because the journey was long and winding. Whatever the reason, I wouldn't change a thing!

8 comments:

Sarah said...

Congratulations! That's so exciting, and I'm proud of you!

Racheal said...

That's awesome. It's perfect- you'll be a great nurse. ;)

Rach said...

Seriously, ROCK ON sum!! You are so awesome!

The Robinson's said...

wahoo! congrats somie! so sorry i missed it! love ya

Anonymous said...

Congrats!! That is so exciting to have finished the program. Love ya

Shelly Morris said...

Hi! I stumbled across your blog while researching the name Somerset. We would like to name our daughter that (due in Sept.). I would love your input. How do you like your name? BTW, Congrats on your graduation!
-Shelly, shellytron@yahoo.com

Jewel McKinney said...

Sorry I am not online much with having Ben- but Congrats!! That is fantastic you made it.

Mommydew said...

Hmm, I thought I commented on this before...I meant too.

WOOHOO CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Love ya!